Thursday, July 22, 2010

Hooray for sesame seed paste!! :)

I've found a new love.

Tahini.




My sister is doing a dietary cleanse this week. Because of my recent dietary restrictions, I can definitely empathize with her. She has cut out all gluten, dairy, eggs, peanut butter, corn, soy, red meat, shellfish and refined sugars. She also has very severe allergies to all tree nuts, coconut, sunflower seeds and poppy seeds. So what's a girl to eat?

Well, being the wonderful sister that I am, I decided to experiment this morning to try and come up with a delicious, healthy, high-protein breakfast that would taste good enough to be a dessert and stay in line with the limitations of the cleanse.

Here's what I came up with:

Tasty Tahini "Ice Cream"

Ingredients:
-1 banana (frozen in chunks)
-1 T tahini
-1/4 c water/ rice milk
-2 scoops protein powder of choice (optional)
-1 tsp raw blue agave nectar
-ice

Mix up all the ingredients in a blender until it reaches a smooth, creamy texture. Enjoy!

This really turned out great! The tahini adds a subtle rich, nuttiness that compliments the banana nicely. It is also a great source of omega 6 &9 fatty acids, calcium, B vitamins, and protein. I'm planning on eating it again tomorrow after my morning workout! :)

For more information on tahini and it's multiple health benefits check out these websites.

http://www.happyjuicer.com/tahini.asp

http://mastering-health.com/blogs/gee/tahini

No comments:

Post a Comment