Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Weight Loss and a Song


So I hadn’t really noticed how severe my weight loss was until my Dad showed me this video he took of me performing last summer.




My face is so much fuller in this footage, my arms look thicker and there is a glow in my eyes that I haven’t seen in a long time. I forgot I used to look like this.

I guess since it all happened so gradually I never even noticed my body changing. Sure, I knew I seemed a little thinner, my jeans were looser and my chest was smaller, but I never saw how drastically different I look now. I can see why my family was so concerned when they picked me up from college. The video really startled me. But it was a good reason to treat myself to a little coconut chocolate ice cream. Yum!

This song is called "October Snow". I wrote it my freshman year of college. The song was inspired by the custodian who cleaned my hallway. I'm an early riser, so I got to know the cleaning staff pretty well. I was always up when they were mopping the bathrooms. Our custodian was a very sweet woman who would always smile and say good morning to me but she had a deep sadness seeded in her face, a heavy tiredness. I wrote "October Snow" hoping to bring out what seemed to be her story, a story of loneliness and isolation. I think sometimes we overlook people, people who work hard, just because they are foreign. So many immigrants feel secluded because they are not always respected in the way that they should be. People are just people, we all go through hardship, and we all feel joy. We are all basically the same. I hope this song is a relatable, human narrative.

"October Snow" Lyrics:

The girl with the brown paper bag kicks the leaves on the ground
To watch them separate like the waves of Sinaloa
Her shoulders slouch and round and fold her body inside out
As October snow collects on her scalp
And weaves it’s frozen fingers through her hair
She wears her powdered sugar crown
A little less often now
A little less often now
Feeling two-dimensional she wraps her arms around herself
And tries to squeeze the noise out of her ears
Stuck in a Chinese finger trap the more she moves the more the world reacts
And tightens its grasp
She runs her frozen fingers through her hair
And stares into the sky
Stretching with her eyes, she wishes that her feet weren’t anchored down
And she sees angels dressed n ragged clothes
Hanging on a laundry line
Their flimsy angles frantically flip in the wind
Pinched by clothespins
And she says “even they aren’t free to fly when they please
Tethered to that twisting string
If I were an angel I would wear my wings like a shawl on these cold autumn days
Cause Mexico seems so far away
So far away”
The girl with the brown paper bag kicks the leaves on the ground
To watch them separate like the waves of Sinaloa
Her eyelids trace the ground
A refuge for her doubt
She wishes that her feet weren’t anchored down
And weaves her frozen fingers through her hair
She weaves her frozen fingers through her hair
She wears her powdered sugar crown
A little less often now
A little less often now

1 comment:

  1. Kelly - and thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog! Beautiful song, beautiful voice….keep on making music, it looks good on you:). And I hope that your healing continues. If you have any gluten free questions, please feel free to get in touch with me.

    ~Ellen

    ReplyDelete