Friday, July 23, 2010

Soy is Suspect

Something has still been getting to me.

I have been feeling much better lately but every so often I relapse and couldn't figure out why.

Last week I was having a bowl of gazpacho and some herb flavored Mary's Gone Crackers and about 30 minutes into the meal my hands broke out in that familiar red rash. I was so confused because the crackers are gluten and casein free, I read the ingredients list over and over and couldn't think of what could be causing my breakout. It freaked me out a little bit.

Then a few days ago I was eating some Mint Chip Coconut based ice cream and about an hour later I was having stomach pain. Again I was baffled. What could be bothering me?

It was time to check my food log. I have been keeping a pretty detailed account of everything I've eaten this summer. I also write down if I feel I have had a reaction and the severity of the reaction. I skimmed through the log checking the ingredients of all the things that have been bothering me lately. They all contained Soy.

I did some research and found that a lot of gluten/casein intolerant people also have trouble with soy. I've decided to cut it out of my diet just for a month or so, see how I feel and then try to slowly introduce it back into my diet once I feel like my digestive system has had a chance to heal. Soy is a difficult food for the body to break down and since going gluten/casein free my diet has been pretty soy heavy, especially because I choose to stay away from red meat. I think I probably just over did it on the soy.

I've tried to be soy free today and feel pretty good so far. I hope this is the solution to my stomach troubles!

No comments:

Post a Comment